Skip to main content

Uncertainties

 Pax had a long day. We are trying to get all the needed data to transfer to the schools district to get an IEP in place, so he spent the morning with neuropsych testing. He then went to school group, did the arm bike for 45 min, then speech, then PT and OT. He is exhausted. When he’s fatigued his speech is the first thing to get jumbled and he gets super frustrated. We are planning on an early bedtime tonight.

I talked to the neurosurgeon today. Here’s the plan…we will have a quick mri in Billings at the end of January/beginning of February to make sure the blood is gone. When it’s gone, we will come back here for a more thorough mri and angiogram. The possibilities from that are:

1. They find no cause and do nothing.

2. They find a cause but don’t know what to do about it so they consult with more specialists.

3. They find an AVM and correct it with surgery (drilling into the skull). They want to avoid this option if at all possible because it’s right over the speech center of the brain and it’s risky.

4. They find an AVM that can be treated with some crazy radiation surgery that doesn’t involve drilling.

5. They find the cause but no further treatment is necessary.

They will schedule surgery when we come back for the tests just in case he needs it.

Here’s a great link about AVMs from Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/brain-avm/symptoms-causes/syc-20350260

We are excited and nervous to come home. Paxton told me today he’s afraid I’m going to get sick and not be able to take care of him. This was a great reminder for me that I need to keep taking care of myself. I have some treatments that are overdue and need to do when we get home.

Brandon and Bray are getting things ready for us to come home. Paxton told them he wants the house spotless. I think I’ve worn off on him! 

We hope everyone has a safe New Year’s! I doubt we will make it to midnight tomorrow! We love you all.

Janell



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Progress

 About 15 minutes ago I was on the phone with my cousin Amanda, and Pax started to get excited and showed me he could lift the upper part of his arm! He was trying so hatrd, his teeth were clenched and his face was red but he did it! He also got to say “hi” and “I love you” to his cousins Eva and Nellie. His day started off with another migraine, but we were able to get it under control by 10:30. He then got his feeding tube out. 🎉 He’s on a 3 day strict calorie count and if he can get enough calories and fluid in, we can keep it out. I caught him taking selfies with his ipad after it was removed. So exciting. After working so hard at therapy, we went for our daily ice cream. This definitely helps with the calories!  Paxton receive care packages from his friend, Ethan and his family, his friend Cooper, The Menascos, and his grandparents. He is definitely feeling loved. I was able to get out and walk today. The wind was freezing but the fresh air felt good. I’m so grateful to ...

Familiar Faces

 We finally got moved out of the ICU yesterday afternoon. As we were being wheeled into his room we saw one of his favorite nurses from last time. He wasn’t our nurse yesterday, but he came to visit twice. This morning, Peter, our favorite CA, came to say hello as he was getting off shift. Then, his favorite nurse, Gretchen, just came to say hi. Our nurse today is one of our nurses from rehab as well. She is amazing and making sure everything is in line for us and getting us all the services we need. One of his PTs from last time visited this morning and will take him to the rehab gym later. He’s still pretty swollen but better than yesterday. He’s talking and smiling a bit more today. We are working on eating and drinking enough to keep the IV out.  The neurosurgeon stopped by morning. He said things on his end were looking good. He has an angiogram on Wednesday, and we are hoping to be discharged after he recovers from that (hopefully by the afternoon that day). Again, we ar...

Paxton’s First Health Update

 I’m hoping to use this page for anyone who want to track Paxton’s health progress. I am not great about getting back to everyone’s calls and texts, but I appreciate them more than I can tell you. On Monday, November 29, Paxton came home from school looking and feeling great. Within a half hour of being home he started to panic because he couldn’t talk. I instantly noticed the right side of his body starting to give out. We immediately called 911 and were taken to the ER where he was evaluated by the stroke team. He was diagnosed with a large brain bleed on the left side. We were med flighted to Denver and taken to the PICU. Thankfully, he remained conscious and breathing on his own.  Many (and I mean a lot) of doctors and specialists examined him and ran multiple tests. All we know is that he had a stroke (from the bleed) and it is centered over the part of his brain that produces speech. Yesterday, we were cleared to leave the PICU and were transferred to the in-patient reha...